Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Catholic Blogosphere

A few weeks ago I was clicking links and reading random blogs listed on the Catholic Blog Directory. I found one I liked, and I'd love to give you a link, but I can't remember what it was. In order to find it again, I'm methodically going through the list in reverse alphabetical order. I've made it through z, y, x, w, v, u and t. One think I find so interesting is how different Catholic bloggers are from people I know in real life. "Everyone" is so excited about the Pope's recent document expanding access to the old Latin mass. "All" the moms stay home and homeschool. Large families are the norm. People read philosophy and classic works that kids I went to school with bought Ciffs Notes to avoid reading. More Latin in the mass is seen as a good thing. I guess I run with the wrong crowd. I can't imagine asking my kids to sit through a Latin mass, what I've heard of Gregorian Chant all sounds the same to me--and I have no desire to hear more. My kids liked before and after school care--it was time to play with their friends. I've even tried a few pieces of classic literature as an adult, and I haven't cared for most of it any more than I did as a high school student. Hopefully I'll find that blog for which I'm searching soon.

7 comments:

  1. Ruth,
    I've only been to a Latin Mass once. I am not opposed to Latin Mass but it's not something I would want weekly but I am glad that the Pope has made the option easier for parishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:49 AM

    We have had a Latin mass at our parish for a couple of years. It is just once a month and it is the novus ordo mass in Latin. I hate it. I spend most of my time trying to figure out where we are and what we are saying. It's taken me my whole life, but I have managed to mostly master English and I don't think that I have another 47 years in me to learn Latin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a problem with it being more available if that is what people want. What bothers me is the comments I've read (and I have no idea exactly how this will play out in real life) intimating that if two or more parishoners want the old mass, the pastor has to have one. What concerns me is, if that interpretation is correct, a small group of parishoners holding the parish hostage to their preference. If we all had an abundance of priests I'd have no problem saying "add a Latin mass"; however in most parishes today putting in a Latin mass would mean eliminating an English mass, and that concerns me--unless there is a "mass full" of people who really want that mass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Quite frankly, many priests have no clue how to speak or read Latin. It wasn't taught in the seminary when they went through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie,
    That was exactly what I was thinking when I first read about the Latin Mass - our priests mostly don't know Latin.
    I didn't realize that all it would take would be two folks to ask for the Latin Mass for it to happen.... I haven't seen anything official come through yet for the military archdiocese....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:37 AM

    THe military chaplian in Monterey made a passing comment in Mass about the Latin Mass- and asked if someone spoke Latin- so he could do it in English and the Latinites could hear what they wanted:>) He is my age and never took Latin- ever.~Janette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Our young and newly ordained priests do know Latin.Our parochial vicar even recites the Eucharistic prayer in Latin on many occasions. Another priest has many of the hymns sung in Latin. Many also speak Spanish. In fact, it's a requirement before they're ordained that they be fluent in Spanish. We're fortunate that our new bishop has authorized a weekly Latin mass at a downtown chapel near the cathedral. I've never been although I'd love to go...but due to circumstances with the children we have (high activity level) and no cry room or even a lobby, I won't do that...to the parishioners attending or my children.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats