Sunday, August 24, 2008

Christ the Lord--Out of Egypt

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
In a post on summer reading, Sr. Julia recommended a book about Jesus by Anne Rice. I looked for it on Bookmooch and found an earlier one, this one. I have to admit that I was surprised; having read a few of her books I'd rather not admit to, I didn't really thing she'd be true to what I consider to be the truth about Jesus.

This book is the story of Jesus'life from birth through the finding of Jesus in the temple, as told through Jesus' eyes as an eight to twelve year old. It starts with the family leaving Alexandria Egypt to return to Nazareth when Jesus is about eight. During the course of the story family members tell him about his birth, the slaughter of the innocents and trek to Egypt. As a novel, it is able to bring the characters to life in a way that scripture does not. Rice draws on apocrophyl writings and the history of the day to fill out story. The only thing I picked up in the book as being different from what is usually taught by the Catholic Church is that Mary had a brother; whereas traditionally I've heard she is considered to have been an only child. The book does maintain Mary as ever-virgin. I'd recommend it.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Ruth, thanks for the review. I'm waiting to receive it from bookmooch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly enough, I found it on the rack at Walgreen's. I found Rice's treatment of the hypostatic union very respectful, as was her interpretation of the Blessed Mother. While she did use some of the Protoevangelium of James, I got the impression she didn't want to lean on it too heavily.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats