Friday, September 26, 2008

Sunset: My Review

Sunset (Sunrise, book 4) Sunset by Karen Kingsbury


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Karen Kingsbury can write. I have to give her that. I was in tears while reading this, and I'm not easily moved to tears by books. This is the last installment in a series of books about the Baxter family. The Baxters live in Bloomingdale (Illinois?) and at the time of this book the family consists of a widowed father, several adult children, with spouses, and grandchildren. I haven't read any of the other books in the series and in some ways this reminded me of Debbie Macomber's last Cedar Grove book--the ensemble had grown so large that much of the book was spent catching up with each one--and enough of the "back story" had to be given so that the characters actions and problems made sense. I guess that's an occupational hazard of series literature. In any case this book in centered around the widowed father selling the family homestead and moving into a new house with a new wife--who happened to be a good friend of the kids' mom. A couple of the kids are expecting and another is going through a very rough spot in his marriage. In a postscript, the author indicates that this is the last volume on the Baxters, but that they will be in the backgound in other books set in Bloomingdale. My guess is the main characters of her next book will a young woman and a soldier just returned from and Iraqi prison.

Kingsbury is an unabashadly Christian author. I think this book is a little heavy on the religion. I just prefer to see people live their faith rather than to read them talking about it.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats