Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Note: My Review


If you check my Goodreads account, you'll see that I have very few five star books. You'll see the same thing if you check my Amazon reviews. I rarely give five stars to a book because I think if I do so very often, there is no rating for the exceptional book. The Note by Angela Hunt is a five star book.

The Note II is the subject of an upcoming First Wildcard tour and the book arrived yesterday. I've had The Note in my TBR someday pile for quite some time and decided that it needed to go to the top.

It is sometime prior to 9/11/01--because a small part of the action takes place in the World Trade Center in New York (and the book was copyrighted in 2001). A jet went down near Tampa. As the media frenzy is dying down, Peyton, a newspaper columnist, is given a note in a ziplock bag. Someone who lived next to the water recovered it, and thinks it was from one of the crash victims. It is from "Dad" to "T" and offers forgiveness. Peyton searches for the child to whom the note is addressed and learns about herself in the process. I don't want to give away too many details but when the story about the note breaks she ends up competing with a rising TV network news star so their relationship is part of the story, as is her relationship with an attractive co-worker and former boss. Another character is a somewhat eccentric former reporter turned prison minister.

The book is classified as Christian fiction. The message is forgiveness, which of course is an important Christian concept. However, I really think this is a book that anyone could read and enjoy. Other than the theme of forgiveness, I really can't think of any particularly Christian elements in the book. One of the characters is a Christian minister, and it is within that context that he thinks about the Note, but again, unless you are anti-religious, I don't think you should have a problem with it.

I case you couldn't tell, I loved this book and highly recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on The Note II.... I have requested it to review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy7:58 AM

    This sounds like the kind of book that I would enjoy! Thanks for the review!
    By the way, I love your blog!
    Cindy (Socmom213)

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats