Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Review: Never the Bride



Never the Bride was a different sort of book. Jessie Stone is 35 and wants to be married. We start the book by joining her at a speed dating session. Speed dating in this book involved speaking to a member of the opposite sex for 8 minutes before moving on to the next one. At the end of the night, each left contact info with the manager, along with the names of the people they wanted to get to know better. None of the guys picked her.

Jessie is a control freak and is stuck in a job she hates. She also keeps a journal and over the years she has scripted hundreds of romantic proposals. She just wants someone to propose to her--but he has to be the RIGHT someone. Then one day God starts appearing to her, in the flesh--well almost in the flesh. She can see Him; no one else can. He tells her it is time to let go and let Him write the script. Based on what He says, she quits her job and starts a business scripting and producing romantic proposals for guys who just can't figure out how to make the moment special. Still, she wants a guy for her very own. When God tells her she isn't ready yet, she's insulted. Eventually though....

I was expecting some light silly chick-lit with a little religion thrown in; but this book was highly religious. There was some light and silly, like Jessie telling her business partner sister that if they didn't drum up more business, she'd have to use Cover Girl makeup and Wal-Mart hair products, but somehow to me, having regular audible conversations with God takes it out of the silly category. Jessie is like a lot of us, she wants things on her terms, not on God's and in this book, she didn't get what she wanted until she did things His way. Maybe because of the split personality of the book it wasn't one of my favorites though I did enjoy it.

First Wildcard will tour this book September 7. Check back then to read the first chapter.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth Ann,

    At first, I didn't think I was going to like this book, but the more I read the better it got. It really made me think about my relationship with God. Could you imagine having Him as a "real-live" friend? That would be SO awesome! I can't wait to see the movie.

    ~ Lori
    http://sugarandgrits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing this tour and need to get the book read. Terrific review. I'm glad it had some depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an interesting read. It sounds like a book that my college aged daughter would enjoy too. This would be a good read for any young woman (and us older ones too!)

    Cindy
    Socmom213@aol.com

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats