Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Promises She Keeps: My Review

The Promises She Keeps

About the Book:
It's her destiny to die young. The man who loves her can't live with that. 

Promise, a talented young singer with a terminal illness, is counting on fame to keep her memory alive after she dies. Porta is an aging sorceress and art collector in search of immortality. 

When Promise inexplicably survives a series of freak accidents, Porta believes that she may hold the key to eternal life.

Enter Chase, an autistic artist who falls in love with Promise and fascinates her with his mysterious visions and drawings.

Soon, all are plunged into a confrontation over the mystery and the cost of something even greater than eternal life...eternal love.

My Comments:
Ok, I'll say it, this is one of the most bizarre books I've ever finished.  I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.  It is published by Thomas Nelson which should put in in the genre of Christian fiction, but while it features a scripture quoting autistic artist and self-sacrificing love, it also features supernatural powers that don't seem to come from above. It is the story of an old woman searching for immortality in the wrong place.  It features death caused by her search for life, but it also includes people not dying when by all rights they should, and a plant with growth habits unlike any in real life.  


It was a strange book, but it did keep me reading.  Usually I give books letter grades, but I'm not going to do so in this case, just because nothing seems to fit.  I'm putting this review on Amazon and Goodreads, and will have to assign a star rating.  I'll give it three stars, just to be in the middle but honestly, I can't tell you whether I liked it or not; it was just plain weird.  My guess is that it is loaded with Christian symbols or themes but symbols and themes were the reason this bookworm hated literature classes.  


I'd like to thank the publisher for making a review copy available via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats