Friday, August 19, 2011

Review: The Promise of An Angel

The Promise of an Angel (A Heaven On Earth Novel)

About the Book:
Interrupting the ordered routine of the Mecosta County Amish settlement, an angelic visitor awakens Judith to a new faith. 
All Judith Fischer ever wanted is to marry within her community and raise a family. She longs for the day when her parents will allow Levi Plank to officially court her. But on the day Judith suspects Levi will ask her parent's permission, her younger brother Samuel has an accident under her charge. Rushing to Samuel's aid, Judith spies a strange man helping him; a man she later believes was an angel.  As her community slowly distances themselves, only one person is willing to stand up for her―the bishop's son, Andrew Lapp. But can he convince the settlement to listen to her? With a show of faith that flies in the face of her conservative upbringing, can Judith hold strong to the promise that there are even greater things in store for those who believe in God's miracles?  When she shares her conviction with her family and close friends, she is shocked to find that no one believes her, including Levi. In the days following the accident, the angel visits Judith with information that may guide her down the path of faith, should she choose to follow.  

My Comments:
I got about halfway through this book and had figured out what was going to happen.  I was going to abandon  the book as it just wasn't holding my interest--somehow I never really connected with Judith, Levi, or Andrew--but I Googled it and found several positive reviews so I stuck it out.  My opinion didn't change, but at least now you know some folks did like it.  Grade:  C

I'd like to thank the publisher for making a review copy available via NetGalley.

2 comments:

  1. Now see, I read this book and I really liked it! But I don't really care if I know what's going to happen or have "figured it out", that doesn't bother me as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read enough romance novels that I know how will end a few pages into the story that in general, it doesn't bother me. However, I like the trip to the end to be interesting and for some reason this one just never got that way for me. Andrew struck me as a lapdog looking for approval and Levi as a boy who needed to grow up. Martha had no sympathetic traits and Judith just struck me as weird--I mean why keep talking about that angel if talking about it bothers people?

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats