Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival



Hello, and welcome to Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of Catholic bloggers who gather weekly to share our best posts with each other. To participate, go to your blog and create a post titled Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. In it, discuss and   link to your posts for the week--whether they deal with theology, Catholic living or cute Catholic kids. I'm mostly a book blogger so my posts are generally book reviews, some Catholic, some not. Make sure that post links back here; some folks are forgetting that! Once you publish it, come back here and leave a link below.

We also have a yahoogroup; signing up for it will get you one weekly reminder to post.  Click here to sign up.

This week's Question of the Week:    What is your favorite hymn that you hear/sing at Mass?
My favorite is "Be Not Afraid" (and yes, I know I'm showing my age, but I've always liked that song and probably always will.
Next week's Question of the Week:  With which ministries/activities within your parish are you involved?
 
I have written Questions of the Week for the remainder of 2013, however, I'd love help with questions for the new year.   You can click here to submit a question to use once my current list runs dry.

Now, onto my snippets.  My Seven Quick Takes post this week features my older daughter who took her first steps outside the nest this week.  She is now officially a freshman at Northwestern State University of Louisiana.  Fork 'em Demons!  

I reviewed a children's Bible that is good for kids who are in between picture books and real Bibles.  Have a look around while you are here; I also reviewed a couple of general market romances and a Christian romance I didn't really like.  

13 comments:

  1. As always, thanks for hosting! I like "Be Not Afraid" too. It is a beautiful hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:21 PM

    Hi RAnn:

    Thank you for hosting.

    My favorite hymn is "Ave Maria."

    My postings for the week were:
    What Held Christ to the Cross?
    St. Catherine of Genoa on Purgatory
    St. Paul on Purgatory
    Mary, the Queen Mother of the Davidic King Who Reigns Forever
    Yes Virginia, There Is a Purgatory

    God Bless,
    To Love and Truth/Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I Survey The Wondrous Cross, lyrics by Isaac Watts, tune "Remington."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDkuxEIcpdI

    The congregation sounds great belting this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite song is an old one that I don't hear very often. It was based on the beatitudes and (I believe) was called "We are the Light of the World".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, RAnnm, for hosting!
    Looking fwd to reading the others' posts!
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops...ques of the week:
    "Christ Be our Light"...it was also the first song my son learned how to play on the piano and played at a local talent show... It was a non faith based audience and I didn't know how it;d go over but the crowd was swaying and singing along. ( He passed out the lyrics....a bit of a sly evangelical trick on his part) I thought that ppl would think it kind of pushy, esp b.c we live in a very liberal anti religion area...but they liked it!

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And interesting question this week because I just read last night that one of my favorites has been deliberately omitted from a mainline church's new hymnal.

    Christianity Today's article and well as the PC(USA)'s response.

    For the record, I don't sing the objectionable words either.

    So, if a song isn't in a denomination's hymnal, can they sing it anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for hosting RAnn.

    My favorite song is very childlike, "I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light." We used to sing it at Children of the Light prayer group in Gainesville Florida in the early seventies. That group was formative for me and I still see them as I sing this song with them in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting. A continuing post excerpted from my pilgrimage journal with a ridiculous number of accompanying (substantiating!) snapshots

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi RAnn and company! It's been a while since I participated in Sunday Snippets (or much of anything) so I thought I'd drop in and get reacquainted. I missed this week, so maybe I can be more timely next week.

    The reason for my digital absence is largely summed up in my post, The New Scarlet Letter in which I deal with my son's Asperger's diagnosis.

    Here's to seeing more of you soon. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting, RAnn! Sorry I've been participating so sporadically. This time I have a post reflecting on two different mothers who recently wrote essays, while thinking of the fussy redistributionism of Dennis Moore. Who's that? Come find out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:07 PM

    I have too many favorites, but one that keeps popping up lately for me is 'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence'. It's so poetic and chant-like.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats