Friday, May 15, 2015

My Message to High School Seniors

Used with Permission

I was cleaning out my email the other day and ran across something I wrote to my alumnae association listserve.  Since it is graduation season, I thought I'd share it:

Some say you are leaving the best years of your life....I say how sad to think you've had the best when you've just begun.  Life is what you make of it, and most of us make our life after high school much  better than our life in high school

A prom date is fun, but a loving faithful spouse is better--and lots of folks who couldn't get a prom date find loving faithful spouses, and some who had their choice of prom dates end up alone, or with people who aren't loving or faithful.

Good grades are a sign of intelligence, but they aren't the only sign of intelligence.  Find out where your talents lie, and use them to make life better for you, and those around you.

I wish I could tell you that the girl voted "Most Beautiful" will be fat and gray thirty years from now--and maybe she will be, but probably not.  However, your zits will heal, you'll find a hairstyle that fits you and clothes you like wearing, and most of you will be able to look in the mirror and like what you see.

High school kids can be really mean to those they don't like; adults just don't bother with folks they don't like; in general they see little reason to pick on someone.

You may have been called an egghead, nerd, or a goody-two shoes in high school; in life that means you are the smart one who works hard and on whom  people can rely--the person who stands up for what is right rather than bending with the wind.

Hopefully you had good high school years; nevertheless I pray that for all of you, the best is yet to come.

1 comment:


View My Stats